Thursday, January 26, 2012

About Projects

I am not a naturally motivated or busy person. Left to my own devices I could happily sit on my couch all through the winter watching episodes of Downton Abbey, NCIS and The Big Bang Theory, holding a Harry Potter/Pirates of the Caribean/Lord of The Rings marathon and reading magazines, mysteries and biographies all the while fueling my slugdom with Oreos and Pizza. If only.

If only I wouldn't gain 50 pounds doing that, if only I wouldn't miss interactions with the family and friends who wouldn't or couldn't join me on the couch, if only I didn't secretly want to be a productive member of society, at least a little.

One of the reasons for beginning this blog is because I hoped the scrutiny (real or imagined) of a well-documented life would inspire me to live a more balanced and possibly a more active, creative and thoughtful life.

I am one of those annoying people who loves themes. It is difficult to move the glee of a perfectly themed and executed children's party or room decoration into an adult life unless you are a professional party planner. So instead of dinosaur themed errands and to-do lists, I have Goals and Projects! To incorporate my love of themes I develop small obsessions with things like dragons or owls and I think about these obsessions as I go about accomplishing my Goals and Projects. One of the projects I have begun for this year is to read the Bible through chronologically in a year; documenting my progress at youversion.com . So far so good. I am only behind two days. They have a "catch me up" feature but then they extend your finish date so that you haven't really read the Bible in a year!! I ignore the "catch me up" feature.

Each year I decide to be healthier in some way, to run more, eat less, eat more vegetables, etc. I have been struggling with that goal this year, leading me to devise a new project. Runner's World issued a challenge to their readers to run every day for at least one mile between Thanksgiving and New Years. Many more organized runners than myself signed up and completed this challenge. I was intrigued and if it had not been during the holidays when I cannot imagine adding one more thing to do, I would have signed on. During the dreary and gray days of January and February I still have plenty to do but lack the umph to do any more than what is absolutely required. Thus, my new project!

Day 1 of 30 days of running!



For the next 30 days I will run every day. Some days will only be a mile but hopefully other days will be many, many more miles and my weekly mileage will get a big boost! This should also cut down on the number of hours spent in slugdom as well as the number of Double Stuff Oreos I consume! Happy Running!

2 comments:

  1. Where were you standing when you took that picture? I don't recognize the foliage..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pic was taken in front of our house. It rained 2-3 inches and the weeds are happy!

    ReplyDelete