Wednesday, July 4, 2012

2nd Running Streak Complete


A plant in the backyard, it's about 7 or 8 feet tall.

Happy Fourth of July! Today I completed the Runner's World Challenge to run every day for at least one mile from Memorial Day to July 4th. I actually started a few days early due to the way my training had been going. I ran every day from May 26th to today! It was 40 days of running consecutively (10 more days than my last Running Streak!). 

I had expected this to be a much different experience from my first running streak. My expectations were correct in some ways and off the mark in others.

What was the same: I had expected to run much more mileage but I ended up running about the same. In the last running streak my lowest mileage week was 16.03, this time around the lowest mileage was 20.51. Last streak the highest mileage week was 25.40, this time, 23.30. I thought the better weather (not in the middle of winter) would translate into more miles. It didn't - I'll explain why later. As with the last streak it was hard to get out the door every day, it's always about time. I get so much done in the morning but if I run, shower, then have breakfast much of the morning is gone, those are my most productive hours. With this streak I felt the same sense of accomplishment. I love to run, I do not love to run every day. It took determination, perseverance and the sacrifice of sleep to keep my commitment.  It always feels good to finish what you started, especially if it is challenging. 

What was different:   When it was cold weather I could run any time of day and preferred to run late morning when it had warmed up some. Once the above 100 degree days started during this streak I was forced to be running by 7:00am or to wait until about 7:00pm at night.  I did more of these runs away from our house. I ran at the greenbelt at 380 on the trail, on the trail at Erwin Park, and at the Warren soccer complex. I definitely enjoyed this running streak much more because I could be on the trail and off the asphalt some. 

And here is why I do not think there was much difference in my mileage from last time. I struggled again with my IT band. I had intended to run 2-3 miles on the easy recovery days rather than 1-2 as I had done before and I planned to get my long run up above 8 miles. I had enough pain with the IT band that I felt I should not increase mileage on my easy day. And once I got up to 8 miles on the long run, I backed off because of the pain. Just a note about the injury - I never had pain while running, all the pain and stiffness occurred after running. I was able to keep a significant injury at bay by using the foam roller to roll out the IT band and by stretching.  I have read that "older" runners need more recovery time and while the running streak was fun and challenging I don't think it is the best plan for  my body.

In the midst of this running streak there was a report (my info came from Runner's World) about mileage and runners that stated:

"The runners with the lowest death rate were those who ran less than 20 miles a week in 2 to 5 days of running at a pace of about 8:35/mile".  So perhaps my 20 miles a week was just right, if only I could hit the 8.35 pace they mentioned!

In the next week I will be doing some cross training to allow the IT band to relax. At that point I may go back to a training plan I have used in the past from Runners World - it's an IPhone app that tells you what to run every day. You plug in your info: weekly mileage, long run day, longest run to date, time of your last race, etc. They devise a plan to help you reach your goal (5k, half or full marathon).

There is a motivational running quote that says:

"Every day is a good day when you run."
-Kevin Nelson


I would have to agree with this quote and that is why I am glad to have completed another streaking challenge. There were many "bad" or "not so good" days during the last 40 days. One of the most wonderful Christian men, a friend and mentor to me in ministry and life passed away during these last few weeks. The day I got the news was "not a good day". I have two friends going through cancer treatment, and I have my own personal ups and downs. On each of those bad days or during the "bad times" if I am running I can count on at least 30-90 minutes of a good day. Running is a time away, it's like a mini vacation. I absolutely leave my world behind. I go to another place and often I meet God there. It is a time to think and a time to pray. Sometimes it is just a time to put one foot in front of the other, to feel the sunshine, to enjoy the continuity and peace of moving rhythmically through the world. Whether it is a time to meet with God or just a time to zone out it gives me a break from whatever is on my mind. So I am thankful for the last 40 days of endorphins! Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment