Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The K List Country Playlist

I like to run while listening to several different kinds of music; rock, pop, country and even some party/rap/hip hop. One of the things I like about Country music is that it often tells a story. Many of those stories will be funny or will teach a lesson.  I enjoy the humor, the common sense and the unpretentious view of life. Country singers often sing about the values I hold dear: family, faith, living a good life. I think the old saying is that the perfect country song would go like this: "I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"...and then something about getting run over by a train. The following are not really in that genre. They are more of the common sense and sentimental variety rather than the tragic, cheating, hit-by-a-train genre.

One of my favorites contains much wisdom:
Don't Ask Me How I Know by Bobby Pinson


 "Sell your truck while it’s still runnin’, save the Jesus off the dash
Say a prayer when you feel like cussin’, save your money - pay with cash
Forget your pride, buy the roses, if you’re sorry tell her so
Don’t drink the water in Mexico
Don’t ask me how I know"


Next on the list is Waiting on A Woman sung by Brad Paisley, it's just sweet.


I've read somewhere statistics show
The man's always the first to go
And that makes sense 'cause I know she won't be ready
So when it finally comes my time
And I get to the other side
I'll find myself a bench, if they've got any
I hope she takes her time, 'cause I don't mind
Waitin' on a woman



Next up is "I love this crazy tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful beautiful life" sung by Darryl Worley. 

We said a prayer for Cousin Michael in Iraq
We're all aware that he may never make it backA
We talked about the way we missed his stupid jokes
And how he loved to be a soldier more than most

I laid in bed that night and thought about the day
And how my life is like a roller coaster ride
The ups and downs and crazy turns along the way
It'll throw you off if you don't hold on tight
You can't really smile until you've shed some tears
I could die today or I might live on for years

I love this crazy, tragic,
Sometimes almost magic,
Awful, beautful life

And just for fun: Shooter Jennings Fourth Of July and Fourth of July and What Was I Thinkin' by Dirks Bentley:


You were pretty as can be, sitting in the front seat
Looking at me, telling me you love me, and your happy to be,
With me on the 4th of July
We sang Stranglehold to the stereo
Couldn't take no more of that rock n roll
So we put on a little George Jones and just sang along




When a mountain of a man
With a "born to kill" tattoo
Tried to cut in I knocked out his front tooth
We ran outside hood-slidin' like Bo Duke
What was I thinkin'
I finally got her home at a half past too late
Her Daddy's in a lawn chair
Sittin' on the driveway
Put it in park as he started my way
What was I thinkin'
Oh what was I thinkin'
Oh what was I thinkin'
Then she gave a come-and-get-me grin
And like a bullet we were gone again
'Cause I was
 Thinkin 'bout a little white tank top
Sittin' right there in the middle by me
I was thinkin' bout a long kiss
Man just gotta get goin'
Where the night might lead
I know what I was feelin'
But what was I thinkin'
What was I thinkin'


 Happy listening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment