Thursday, March 1, 2012

30 Consecutive Days of Running in Photos, sort of


30 Consecutive Days of Running- I was beginning to think it might take 30 consecutive days of working on GIMP (open source photo software similar to photoshop) in order to create the feet collage I had imagined from the beginning of this challenge. I got the idea to try the 30 consecutive days of running after seeing a similar (possibly more professional looking) photo collage on Pinterest. I followed the link (one thing leads to another) and discovered that the author had done the Runner's World challenge of running every day from Thanksgiving to New Years. I am always optimistic that I can see something someone else has done and do it myself, sometimes I am delusional! It's possible that it is easier to run 30 consecutive days than it is to use GIMP!

If at this point you are hoping I will be able to help you efficiently create a photo collage you do NOT need to read further. Go to Amy Tangerine's blog and find the answers there!!! What follows here is my convoluted, inefficient struggle to use the technology at my disposal!! And it will not hurt my feeling if you do not choose to continue reading...mostly a giant rant lies ahead!

Tonight I visited the above mentioned blog that featured a photo collage (amy tangerine) where Amy described how she had created the collage. She used Big Huge Labs. Once I got to Big Huge Labs it seemed the easiest way to get my pictures uploaded was to first upload them to Facebook. I do not have a flicker account and could not see a way to upload directly from my computer...tso this seemed the easiest way. I uploaded the photos to a Facebook album (I never intended to post these on FB- oh well) then uploaded from there to Big Huge Labs. I tried saving the file of the collage to my computer to two different locations and then was unable to retrieve the image. This is undoubtedly due to my lack of knowledge with regard to my own computer...whatever...I improvised. I emailed the image to myself, which turned out to be only a temporary link to the image, I was then able to save that temporary "postcard" to my regular photo thingy where all my other photos are. Because everyone else understands how their computer works tutorials do not provide the info needed for ME. I refuse to surrender. I have made a photo collage though I had pictured it with a very cool title, also I could not figure out how to get the pictures to load with the correct orientation or how to rotate them once I had loaded them to Big Huge Labs (or even to FB for that matter). Again, WHATEVER, I'll get it eventually!

There was one other issue, I lost track somehow and uploaded duplicate images and/or missed some images and then couldn't tell which ones I omitted or which ones were duplicates. So my photo collage is a little inaccurate. I took a picture every day of the 30 days except one...I forgot to take a picture on the day I ran on the treadmill at the hotel. I had taken an extra, in fact I took several extras in case I forgot again.

So there it is, my very bizarre and time consuming attempt to do what others can achieve in minutes!! And as I mentioned in the beginning  -- it was easier to run the 30 days in a row than to immortalize them in pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment