Saturday, March 3, 2012

Making More and More Crosses


Making crosses Day 6 was much more labor intensive than previous crosses!
After last weekend's hectic cross making I wanted to spend more time this week making my crosses and subsequently spend more time with God or at least thinking about Him. Some crosses this week were more labor intensive and required a fair degree of concentration. On at least one occasion that was a very good thing. Several things had gone wrong and that had set me off on a path of doom and gloom and asking the "why" questions. The "Why Question Path" is never a good one for me. It was near the end of the day and it came time to make my cross. It was difficult to get into the right frame of mind and quite frankly I didn't have the time I thought it would take for a complete attitude adjustment so I just began to make the cross and hoped for the best. It is impossible for me to make a cross without thinking about God. The combination of fully realizing His presence and then the realization that He had just heard me whining plus the concentration it took to make the cross (it was an origami cross) completely changed my state of mind. It should not have been a surprise, this was the point of making crosses, to focus on God and not myself, but of course I was surprised anyway! Surprised and thankful!

Day 7: origami cross

My crosses sometimes look better if enhanced by Instagram (phone app for Iphone)
 My friend, Denise, said this cross reminded her that Jesus is our rock. Psalm 18:2 says "The Lord is my rock,, my fortress and my deliverer, my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." I did not have that intention when making the cross, I was too caught up in my own problems at that moment to have thought through my choice of rock paper, I just chose a paper and started following directions and folding. That is what is cool about making the crosses, insights are revealed. Certainly God was my fortress and deliverer in the midst of my own problems and selfishness that night. He is the God in whom I take refuge and I am so glad that Denise saw what I did not at first see!

Making crosses: Day 8

Sharing crosses with the world: Posted on Facebook

enhanced with instagram
   I made the cross for Day 8 out of celebration to an answer to many prayers. A dear Bible study friend has overcome cancer in the past but had a weird result from a test recently that required her to have a bone marrow biopsy. Our faithful bible study ladies prayed, asking God to spare our friend another battle. The results of the biopsy were benign!!

Day 9
Day 9's cross was made from an old letter from a long-time friend. It did not turn out exactly as I had imagined. I made a collage of the letter and envelope and then cut out my friends signature to add on top. I stamped around the edges, used watercolor, did more stamping, and stamped on the sand dollars. I added the sand dollars because my friend Nanette loves the ocean and the beach and as many of us do, feels a special connection to God when she is there. Here is what I didn't like about the result. The ink on the letters was water soluble and so it smeared more than I wanted. The watercolor crayon I used around the signature was too dark and my many attempts failed to 'lighten' it. The values of the colors were not balanced. Even though I used a watercolor wash over the sand dollar stamps I felt their color was still too strong.

I like the cross because enough of the letter remains that it reminds me of all the times I have pulled mail from the mailbox and been delighted to see that exact stationary over and over again. Nanette is a dear Christian friend and her letters over these many years (I think we have been writing for about 20 years though we have known each other much longer) have kept me afloat. We began writing some time after Bailey was born and we have written through the growing years of her three children and my two. We have written through our spiritual journeys as well, with her I am free to discuss my questions and my doubts, in the safety of her steadfast love for God and me. The cross may not have turned out the way I imagined it but our friendship has been more than I could have imagined all those years ago as a sophomore in college.

Day 10
This cross was so fun! I cut a snowflake out of paper and used it as a stencil or mask over the cross shape, I then spritzed on a silver spray (Smooch Spritz) over the snowflake in order to create a design on the cross. I outlined the resulting design with black micron pen then used the same pen to tangle around the design.  The teardrop tangle is called Flaske, the checkerboard pattern is a misshaped Knightsbridge, The tangle that looks like strips of cloth (reminded me of Jesus' body wrapped with linen in the tomb) is called Hollibaugh. I got most of the designs from a book but most can be found at Tangle Patterns.

I have enjoyed making these crosses this week and I have appreciated the feedback and encouragement from friends on FB. This is worthwhile in so many ways. I love having the 'excuse' to be creative and play with all the different craft techniques and I love having this time with God. Making crosses, like running is an active way to be with God. It is being with God while doing something- what we do most of the time without realizing it. When I'm running and when I'm making a cross I am very aware of His presence.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kelly, I was led to your blog through a search for Agape' ideas. Your origami cross was there. I learned to make them from 12: scrapbook paper by cutting two strips and butting them together with invisible tape, then cutting them to 15 1/2 inch strips. I have so much paper this size and none larger as you recommend. Then I made larger ones by cutting the strips 3/4 of an inch wide and using the 24 inch strip. But more than this, I discovered your blog which is a huge inspiration for me, both as a believer and a crafty lady myself. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judith. I work on the blog sporadically now. Lately I have been working on an art journal Bible and getting inspiration from this blog: http://visualblessings.blogspot.com/
      I may post some pics of that once I get further along. I am glad you gave the new dimensions for the cross. I have paper in different sizes and this will help with that. Thank you for your encouraging words!

      Delete