Friday, March 9, 2012

Making Crosses Continued

Making Crosses: Day 11
In the past when I have given up something or added something for a set time I typically lose focus. I may keep doing whatever I have said I will do or not doing what I said I wouldn't do but these things become another thing on my to-do list, something to put a check by and move on. Making crosses has been different. I look forward to making the crosses every day and so it becomes not just another thing that has to be done but something I am excited about. I think God would be pleased if I approached all my commitments this way. I have to say that I have not brought the same enthusiasm to my reading in Numbers and Deuteronomy (for the read-the-Bible in a year plan)!

Making Crosses: Day 12
I "tangled" this cross using Knight's cross, Mod Box and some other Zentangles. I love tangling the crosses because it is very relaxing. I have been playing my Bible reading for the day in the background from You Version while I tangle. Once I get into the groove of making the particular pattern it is easy to focus on the scriptures playing in the background. I have to pause the reading when I begin a new pattern but soon I can begin it again.

I made these crosses for the Awesome Bible Study Ladies to commemorate the end of our study of James! These, too, had a meditative quality once I memorized the folding sequence. After the first five or so, they were easy to make. I found the directions for these crosses at Easy Origami Crafts.

Making Crosses: Day 14
Making Crosses: Day 15
Making Crosses: Day 17
I used a stamp of the mason jar and then cut out crosses to go inside. I thought the crosses were like us, little fireflies caught in a big world. Because of Christ we can shine our light in the dark mason jar of our world. I loved catching fireflies when I was little, we called them lightening bugs!

Making Crosses: Day 16
The white base puzzle cross was something I purchased from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I found it in the craft cabinet and decided to do a different Zentangle pattern on each piece. I tried many new patterns and made lots of mistakes! I enhanced the photo by taking it with a phone app called Awesome Camera. Awesome camera allowed me to add the border and darken the picture.

One of the choices on the app is to "awesomize" your photo! My photos (and my crafts) need all the awesomizing they can get!  There are lots of jokes about "there's an app for that", I can understand why. It would be great to be doing something and then press the awesomize app and suddenly whatever you are doing is hazy in a moody and exciting way. I would really like to walk around with a soft focus lens app for my appearance! I know I would look amazing softened by a fuzzy glow! Or better yet, there could be a "What Would Jesus Do" app that would change my demeaner and my words into something that really does shine a light in our world rather than the complaint, the grimace or the irritation I was about to display.

The problem with an app like that or with the "easy button" is that if we use it we do not learn or grow. I use many iphone camera apps to enhance my photos. I have not learned how to take better pictures, how to use lighting properly, how to use my photo software on my computer or added in any way to my knowledge of photography. If  I had to learn how to enhance the photo through time and effort I could build a base of knowledge and skill that I could use again and again, preparing me for future picture taking. My words and actions are often incorrectly lit and poorly staged; if there was an app for that I would not give the time and effort to God's Word that is needed to grow and change. Convenience and efficiency are wonderful but sometimes quality and depth require that we give time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment