Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dean & The Herb Garden

I have ideas and plans but sometimes they involve things I don't like to do (planting things) or things I physically or talentlessly cannot do (open jars, write computer programs). In those moments when I realize my latest project involves something I don't want to do or can't do I never give up, I immediately think I will get my minions (oops), I meant family members, to help me!!

Thus, Bailey helps me redesign the blog, upgrades all my software on the computer, my phone and my Kindle. Parker drives to the store when I don't have on makeup, opens jars, and advises me on everything from You Tube, Facebook, ITunes to phone apps. Dean plants things, builds things and kills spiders!

Here is my latest project:

If it looks impressive, it's important to remember that I had almost nothing to do with it! I saw (on Pinterest) three round pots stacked on top of each other filled with herbs. I accompanied Dean to Home Depot to pick out my herbs. We also picked out the pots together. But then the real work began:



None of us ever does anything alone, there is always a helper. This is Max, the ancient black lab mix.
I am blessed to have a skilled and enthusiastic husband! I did do one other thing. I purchased a book on herb gardening!


It's good that I purchased the book as I discovered I have already made some mistakes. I may perhaps be over watering and I was not careful to avoid getting the leaves wet. The watering is a little confusing because the author of "herb gardening from the ground up" lives in Connecticut. He advises that: "you might have to water your vegetable garden five or six times in the course of it (summer), and your herb garden only twice." My grandfather had a vegetable garden on our property when I was growing up. We watered almost every day especially in July and August due to the hot Texas summers, I have no concept of watering 5 or 6 times in three months.  He does recommend allowing the soil to become "bone dry" to a depth of 6" before watering. We will see what happens! Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I really liked seeing the pics of dad working. I think I miss seeing him out in the yard when I'm up here in Missouri. I can still remember when we lived in the old house it was always so exciting when he would be done mowing with the push mower and he would let me walk with him to cross the street and empty the clippings bag in the field (or whatever was across the street, maybe it was out neighbor's yard, I can't remember haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a big field on the other side of the street from our house. We lived on the edge of the neighborhood and the main street that went to your elementary school had the neighborhood on one side and a field and the lake on the other. At that time Dad had three cats (Calvin, Carter, and Abigail)to assist with all his yard work also!

      Delete