Monday, April 23, 2012

Lost Sheep

Running did not go as expected again. It seems to be a continuing theme. Life required some extra things last week. We, the third-graders and I, finished the Armor of God study and so a new study of the Parables has begun. This meant that we needed a new bulletin board and new folders. For our final week on the Armor of God we listened to a musical for kids based on the Armor of God. One of the students and his family recommended the CD. We had Heads and Tails Oreos (Chocolate cookie on one side, vanilla on the other, double stuff cream on the inside!!), listened to the CD and colored some velvet pictures.  I used the kids velvet pictures to decorate their folders. This was not difficult, just a lot gluing. Since we are learning about the Parables of Jesus I made a sheep from the parable of the lost sheep to put on the bulletin board at the front of the class along with an explanation of what a parable is and the verses for the parable.



 There is no parable about an octopus (or any of the other pictures), we are considering these pictures to be decorative only!




In addition to ending the Armor of God study, I completed recently the Beth Moore James study. In the study Beth suggested that we might consider cleaning out some closets and giving away the things we do not use to those who might use or need them. This week I tackled a cabinet full of picture frames. Over the years when I have taken a new picture that I want to display I often buy a new frame to put it in. Since I do not have unlimited space, I usually need to take down a picture to make room for the new one. I then take the old picture, still in the frame and stuff it in the cabinet. Last week I took all the pictures out of those frames, stored the pictures in a photo box and then sorted the frames. Some went to Parker, some went to Dean for his office. The rest will go to Good Will. This was not a big deal either but it was very time consuming. It involved fighting with those little knobs and metal things on the back of frames which hold the back on the frame. Some of those were almost impossible to open, others were easy. I also cleaned all the glass for the frames that Dean and Parker wanted, sorted through pictures they might want and of course experienced a few time warps.

In the cabinet was an old album that belonged to my mother. There were lots of pictures in it of my Dad and his friends posing with dead animals. There were lots of pictures of men with inanimate deer and large dead fish. There were also some pictures of my Mom and Dad in Colorado and Utah with friends. These kinds of pictures are a mystery to me...they were taken before I was born. My parents look happy. Since they were divorced when I was three, I have never seen them together when they were happy. Both my parents are gone now. Looking at pictures like those always leaves a shadow for a while. There are so many unanswered questions. I feel a little like the lost sheep in the parable before he is found.

There was also a scrapbook from college in the cabinet. It was filled with cards and letters from people I met my first year at Baylor. It reminded me of how much fun it was to meet all those people from all those different places after growing up in small town Alvarado.

It seems like it might be a good time for some happy bunny pictures:

This is Jackson atop his bunny castle built for him by Dean! It's possible that every animal we have ever had has been spoiled beyond measure!

Eye to eye with Jackson. 

  These pictures may have been taken on what Dean called, "Special bunny Wednesday". Every day is special bunny something to Jackson. He rushes out of his cage every morning absolutely certain that today is the day that he will be allowed to eat as many dehydrated carrots, veggie treats, papaya treats, and Basic 4 cereal pieces as he wants!

 With the priority on Sunday School, cleaning out cabinets and Jackson, running becomes something I am trying to be disciplined about rather than something I am focused on. I will get there.

Here is what I did last week:


Week #
Sun
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
3

3miles repeats
9:31, 9:09, 9:20




3.95 miles
scenic run
5.04 miles 52:13

 Here is what I ran in week #4



Week #
Sun
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
4

3miles repeats
9:17, 8:56, 8:59


Greenbelt run 6.06
(1:08)

3.03
29:41
Tempo

 Even though I am not working as hard as I had hoped at this point I am nevertheless improving. The mile repeats were faster and the longish run was longer. I just need to keep going, my determination and devotion will return. Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment