Friday, April 13, 2012

Timey Wimey Tardis

The objectives for the Making Crosses project were twofold: to focus on Christ while engaged in a creative endeavor, to engage in creativity every day. There are many habits already built into my life that help me focus on Christ: the read-the-Bible-in-a-year plan (I am behind as always but still reading), the Wednesday Beth Moore ladies Bible study, and daily devotions and prayer. I do not, however, have any habits that bring the creative process into my life on a daily basis. I am hoping that through writing the blog I will be more intentional about being creative so that I have something fun and interesting to share.

During the cross making time I stumbled upon several projects that looked fun but would not have been suitable for making crosses. One of those was matchboxes. Here are two blogs that have matchbox projects: Make and Takes and  Craftster.org .

 The watermelon matchbox looks fun and I will have to give it a try for summer. The one that captured my imagination this week was the following:

 Dean, Bailey, Parker and I are big Dr. Who fans! How could I resist the Tardis? It has been a stressful week around here and what we needed was a little time travel! When I first saw the matchboxes I ordered some plain ones from Oriental Trading. There are templates available online to make your own and I will try that at some point. Here are my Tardises:


I googled "Tardis image" to find an image of the Tardis I could print and adhere to the matchbox. In google images I also searched for images of some "timey wimey" and travel things: image of a clock, "timey wimey", dahlek stamps, and travel postage stamps. My first step was to paint the matchboxes blue!



I drew the little picture of the David Tennant Dr. Who by looking at one on the internet. The image of the latest Dr. Who (wearing the Fez) is from google images.


Timey Wimey stuff!

bottom of the matchbox enclosure..."It's bigger on the inside".

Matchbox filled with the stamps, Dr. Who's and bits and bobs.


I used letter stickers and glitter to decorate the bottom of the boxes (sparkly and WHO).  I used some of Denise's buttons and a gold mosaic tile to make the "Bits and Bobs" trinket. I stuck a letter sticker to cardstock so inside each box appears the owners initial ( "K" for Kelly, "P" for Parker, etc.). The little Dr. Who with the Fez reads, "I wear a Fez now, fezzes are cool!"; this is a beloved line from the show. "Timey Wimey" and "Bits and bobs" are other Dr. Who sayings. Yes, I'm a geeky nerd!


 I drew this Dr. Who, photocopied him and then colored him in.  This was a fun project...everyone should have their own Tardis for those times when you need to make your escape! I look forward to making more matchboxes with different themes...the possibilities seem endless and timey wimey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment