Thursday, May 24, 2012

SMASHing the Senior Day Sermon



THE WORLD IS CHANGING DRAMATICALLY. Speaker John Randalls delivered the Senior Day sermon at Preston Ridge last Sunday.  While many of the High School seniors may not have heard a sermon based on 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27 most athletes have come across this passage a time or two.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, bu we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly. I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."   

The main points of the sermon were:
  • Champions run to win. (This is a command)
  •  Be Disciplined
  • Set goals
  • Strive for Excellence
  • Love God, hate sin
One of the things Mr. Randalls pointed out was that the last person a coach wants on his team is someone who just wants to make the team. If we do not want to win then we are likely to do more harm than good. Those who try to do just enough to "make the team" usually bring others down to their low standard. I have mentioned the Awesome Bible Study Ladies before and will likely mention them many more times. One of the things I most appreciate about them is that they are in the game to WIN. No one there is sitting idly by, just glad to know Jesus and slide into heaven by GRACE. My Awesome Bible Study Ladies want to finish strong...they want to cross the finish line with hearts that are  more like Jesus than when their race started. I want to be changed. I want to be sanctified not just justified by Christ's sacrifice for me.  
 I created the circle on the left page by following the directions given in this video on YouTube (video by Millande). Millande calls this a Mandala Zentangle. Since I began with a circular theme, I continued by punching out some circles and then learning a new circle based tangle. I also added dots to the border picking them up from the inside of the circular Zentangle. I repeated other motifs from the circular zentangle throughout both pages.


 The border around the scripture is Snircle. I first saw it on Pinterest, it's original source is tanglebucket. There are complete instructions on this site by Sandy Hunter.
 A closer look at the Mandala Zentangle. I purchased some circular cardstock from Michael's. I painted the white circle with watercolors to match the existing pages before I tangled the designs. I used paper tape to add interest (striped red and white). I placed one piece of tape across both pages for continuity. 

 As in my first Smashed Sermon I used a page from the Smash Pad to record the scripture from the sermon.
 This bee appeared in the video for the Mandala Zentangle, I repeated him on both pages for 
continuity OR because he is fun to draw!
 Bee!

 Another bee!

 More circles to go with the theme. I liked the three keys sticker, it reminded me that many sermons have three "key" points. Though this particular sermon had more.  I love this project. I enjoy thinking about the sermon, coordinating the colors, planning the layout of the pages, creating tangles and embellishments to include on the pages and the freedom.  I feel free to experiment, to try new things, to do what I want since it's my SMASHing Sermons journal and doesn't have to meet any ones expectation except my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment